Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Map making for Extented Esssay


 This is my creative part for CAS. I'm one of few people at OSC who is fimilar with ArcGis. Some of my friends, Karl, Nhyira and Sky wanted help to make GIS maps for their Extended Essays. I was able to do this because I wasn't doing a Extended Essay. Making maps without proper data was a "pain in the neck" switching from window to window to plug-in the data, I hated that. I could have printed the data but I didnt want to waste paper. I challenge I faced was time, all three come to me with their data and ideas at the last moment. This was frustrating because I couldn't make the maps at home and also not have the simple and basic data(Geographic locations of countries and its interior boundaries) for GIS. So I had to "borrow" a copy of ArcGIS and do research/find simple and basic data. The last three days before Extended Essay was due, I had no sleep at all (yes this is true, ask sky) Because I had received feedback(from Mr.Lockwood) on how to improve the map and also making sky's map. I did the necessary adjustments on the first but finishing Sky's make took two full days without sleep. The challenge was that, translating Sky's data to GIS data was nearly impossible or it just took a ridiculous amount of time to finish it. But I figured out a easier and shorter way to finish it.
Karl's Map
Nhyira's Map
Sky's Map

No comments:

Post a Comment